Sunday, December 27, 2009

The First Long Run

Last night we drove back to Boston where I had my Team Brigham package waiting for me. Inside were the official Boston Marathon entry forms and a cool new training shirt.












It gave me a bit more motivation to get my butt out of bed early on a Sunday morning. I fueled up on some coffee and yummy banana, walnut, and flax oatmeal. YUM!







I broke out my old friend, the fuel belt. Since it wasn't going to be a very long run I didn't take along any gu's and just filled up two bottles with half gatorade and half water.






I got dressed and was on my way...



No camera was coming with me today since it was pouring rain outside and I doubt that's very good for electronics. Here's a depressing look from my door.



It was a very wet 9 miles this morning. I was nervous I would be too cold, but I actually began to overheat at around mile 3 or 4. I think I had mentally prepared myself for such a long run, that it felt quite short. My legs didn't feel the same though. Getting back into the long run training is tough and my muscles were hurting. It also didn't help that I chose one of my hardest running routes through Newton and up heartbreak hill where the actual marathon is run.


It felt so good to finish and average 9:13 minute miles despite feeling like I was DRAGGING!


I wish this picture could truly show just how sopping wet I was.






Here's a nasty shot of what happens to my hair when I run in the rain. I have to tie it up like I used to do when I was 12 years old in gymnastics, however it's the only thing I can do to prevent my hair from gnarling up even worse.






After my shower it was a delicious recovery shake full of apple, banana, peanut butter, skim milk, and some honey.




Now it's off to run some errands with my husband and put our house back together after being away for over a week. And with temps expected to dip very low again this week I'll probably have to become friends again with the treadmill. How do people run on those things every day? They zap every ounce of fun out of running.
Next week's long run will hopefully be done with Team Brigham! I'm excited to meet some of the other people I'll be running and fund raising with.

No comments:

Post a Comment